a sea of red hats

a sea of red hats

Monday 1 June 2015

What do I say. How about WOW and just more WOW!

There are really no words to describe what I saw today other then so much OH WOW!

Aw fresh mountain air.  Gets you to sleep at night and up early in the morning.  Or is it just that I am so excited to get on my way that I wake up early.  I woke up around 7:15 this morning.  Tried to roll over and go back to sleep but though I tried did not happen.  I just layed there and kept thinking about my journey today.  

So got myself up and had a muffin for breakie.  Packed up my stuff and lugged my suitcase back down the stairs.  Yeah still now elevator.  Easier taking down then it is taking it up.  You know I should have just did a smart thing and packed a small bag that I could have taken to each hotel room.  That would have been too easy though.  I usually go for the harder way anyways.  Sometimes I am just really a ding dong.  Well maybe next time.  That is if there will be a next time.

So car all packed up again.  My poor bug almost groaned at me I think.  So I did a nice this for her and scrubber her front window. Cleaned off her headlights and did a little on the front hood as well.  My bug is not bugged anymore.  Or at least as not as much as she was.  Gas attendant may not have liked me using the windshield brush to do a bit of the car but I had to get some of the bugs off.  Then I filled up the gas tank and I am off to the races.  Well not really the races.  The speed limit is a little slower then what it was yesterday.  From going 120 on the coquahalla down to 100 on highway 5 and then down to 90 as I hit the Alberta border.  You just seemed like you were going too slow.  Well I am not worried about it.  No hurry to get anywhere.  Just driving and seeing what I can see.

Once I got into Alberta the speed limit went way down..  There was paving going on for a few Klms.  Sure did slow down and bunch up the traffic.  Still not much traffic though.  More they want to pass and be speed demonds then enjoy what is right there in front of you.  I know they have probably saw it a dozen or so times and just want to get from point a to point b.

Well enough about traffic and cars that just want to drive too fast.  Me I just puttered along at the speed limit and enjoyed what was in front of me.  I turned onto highway 5. Headed north until I reached highway 16.  The yellow head highway.  This highway goes from somewhere in Manitoba and goes all the way to prince Rupert on the north west coast of British Columbia.  I turned to go east.  Heading into the pass. The one I talked about last night that I did not want to drive in the dark.  I am only about two and half hours from Jasper so have most of the day to piss around and look and take it all in.

I come around a bend in the road and up ahead of me is this beautiful scene.  The sky is blue, not clouds at all and you just look up and see this mountain ahead of you.   The first thing I say is oh wow!!

I want to stop someplace but not a good part on side of road to do it.  As I come around another bend there is a rest area I can stop at.  But the view is not as good.  So I hope out of the car and walk over to the side of highway. Snap my picture and just look.  I do not think I have ever seem it so clear before.  We have been through this way a few times but I guess just never really looked or it could have been the middle of the night when hubbie was driving and wanting to get someplace.
The first picture is from the rest area.  The second I did stop a little further up on the side of the road.  A so much better picture.  Still I can say WOW!!!

I traveled along the road a little further and came to the mount Robson provincial park.  Pass the stature so far mountain goats on the side of the road and I am in the park.  Sign says not gas stations for 100 Klms.  Good I filled up but I don't think I had to worry about it yet.  Could make it to Jasper no problem before I will be needing gas. Drive a little more down the highway and then come to mount Robson  information area.  Time for another stop.  Sit on my hood of my bug and just take it all in.    I even did a silly thing and took a selfie of myself.  I know silly as I do not do that much.  Well I took one in niagra falls when I was there and this is another wonder to me so I took a selfie of the mountain as well.
I is just gorgeous eh!!!  Talking Canadian here.  Eh!!!

Now you will say I am doing this on my way to red hatting.  No red hat on and no purple shirt.  Well I did put a red bandana on my hat.  The shirt is a nice cool shirt to wear while I am traveling in warm temperatures.  So I have a couple of days yet before I get the red and the purple going.

Well anyways after a while of just enjoying the scenery I check out the gift shops.  Yeah another silly thing I do.  Don't buy anything but look.  Most of the gift shops have the same things anyways with just a couple of other things thrown in, but fun to look at.

Headed down the highway again.  Come to the Alberta border.  And you know a time change.  Didn't notice that though. I made it to Alberta.  Yes!!!  Thought I would be turning around and heading home but no I made it this far.  Having a great time just driving and looking around. Still have not seen any wildlife though.  Something I usually think I should see and never see.  Must all be  hibernating when I go through.   Maybe they don't like my bug.  Well maybe tomorrow I will see them.  Who knows.?

I come to the turn off of Jasper.  But I am not going into Jasper yet.  I am going to go down a little in the park and take a sky tram ride.  Something I said I wanted to do when I said I was driving.  So turn south go across a bridge that has construction on it and then make a right onto a secondary road.  All of a sudden I am driving up and up and up.  And there are motor homes coming down that do not stay on their own side of the road.  I am still driving up.  For about four Klms.   How far up is this going.  Am I on the right road?  I didn't make a wrong turn someplace?  Then I come to the parking lot.  Full of motor homes and cars.  Okay to find a parking spot.  There is one over by the trees.  Well my bug will be in the shade.  I get out and walk over to ticket booth.  Oh my gosh it is 38 dollars to go up on the tram.  I was figuring a little cheaper then that.  Well I guess not.  I came here to go up I am going up.  Gonna go to the top of the world.  Or at least above the tree line.

Pay and get on the next tram.  They go every nine minutes so there is not much of a wait.  Not too many going up right now. So on the tram. We go up and up and just keep going up.  What you can see from here and we are still going up.  You what a great zip line ride this would be going down.  Something I would not try but just to think about.  We then go over a tower and the angle changes a little not too steep.  We still go up more.  Finally come to the platform and get off the tram.  Boy it is good I put on my pants for this.  The wind is just a little more chillie then down below.  We went through four atmospheres is what the guide had said..  There is no trees up here.  But there is still some snow
See the fellow trying to dig out the path so people are not walking off the path. So now you want to go the rest of the way to the summit it is another. Two and half klm walk.  You know it is all uphill too.  So I decide to see how far I can get.  I start walking.  If I can get to the top the view would be so great.  I start walking up, up, up,up. Then it levels out the up, up, up. And then another level out.  I stop.  Breathe, turn around and say what am I doing.  Oh wow look at the view.  Maybe just a little more.  Up, up, up and more up.  I stop again and breathe.  Look around and just love what I am seeing.okay I will try for a little more.  Up, up, up then look up ahead and still see little forms of people up further.  Hell I am not going to make this.  I will go a little further and then probably sit for a few minutes then head myself back down.  It just got steeper with every step I took.  That was enough for me.  I over do it I will be layer up for awhile and not enjoy the funvation coming up.  Well I can say I made it pretty far, but did not make it to the top.  Well I did what I did and I am happy that I did do what I could.  Does that make sense?

So now it is around 2:30. Get back on the tram to go down.  Grab a little bite to eat at the bottom, hop back in the bug and head back down the hill.  Drive into Jasper and take a bit of a walking tour of the shop there.  All start looking the same after awhile.  Tshirts, native ware, statues, and jewelry.  Some of it looks interesting but I don't want to pay the price for it.  I do find something that I might wear to the pj party on Sunday morning.  Kinda cute and yes I bought it.  Maybe I will wear it or maybe I will save it for something else.  Who knows.  It may be a little lighter then what I brought along for the pj party.  I was checking out the resteraunts as I walked down the street.  And down at the end pizza won out.  Got myself a individual pizza. And enjoyed every bite of it.  I can just see the pounds coming on

Hop back in the car make my way down the road and find my hotel for the night.  A reservation I made a long time ago when I decide I was going to drive. I head for my hotel a little further down the road.  Made a reservation through air miles and am sleeping in a room tonight that only cost me 27 dollars.  I like that kind of a price and I used my air miles  to get it.

So now after a day of allot of walking and allot of oh Wow!  I am snuggled in my room.  Resting my legs and yes playing on my iPad.

So talk to you tomorrow,  will be enjoying a hot spring soaking and then head into Edmonton where I sure a heck hope I do not get lost and find the hotel for the funvation.  I am there early but I want to wonder a little and see Edmonton 
Hello down there.  That is Jasper way way way down there.


No comments:

Post a Comment