a sea of red hats

a sea of red hats

Wednesday 10 June 2015

Well fun is over and I now have another memory to hold onto

First off I am going to say a very huge thank you to Carol Conrad and the members of her team for putting on such a wonderful event.  I have never had so much fun in three days of being with all these ladies.  Enjoying laughter and giggles and maybe a dribble or two. Oooops!  From the opening to the very end.  Had so much fun.  Then there is my roomie for the week.  Darlyne Wagner.  With her I had double the fun and always had a partner in crime if I was trying to do something sill.  She went right along with it.  I don't understand how she could put up with some of the sill antics I did for the weekend, but she did.  It was soooo much fun.  Oh I guess I said that already. But I cannot express enough how I feel right now.

To all the ladies that came up to me and commented on my blog and the stories I wrote about my travel to and from.  You all just realized I am a very quiet person.  I can blab a mile a minute on Facebook and my blog but when I am face to face I am just not a talker.  I am trying to get over it but it is a dang hard thing to do.  So I hope I did not offend anyone because I did not say very much.  I do love all your comments and the love you are all bringing to me.  I can write it down but just do not seem to have the words in person.  So thank you all that came up to me and said how much you enjoyed reading my blog.  I will be keeping this up as I go to other things red hating. So keep in touch. I love the feedback and comments.

This blog was started when I started red hating.  You see I am a living ailment here and things are slowly getting worse.  I am fighting it off as much as I can, but sometimes it wants to take over my life. I am not going to let it and I keep pushing forward.  So some days I am down and others I am doing much better.  My motto is I am not living with this it is living with me and if I had a choice I would evict it right out of my body so I can be a normal person.  But I know that is not going to happen so I will keep pushing and working hard to keep it in the background and have all the fun I can.  So my other thing is another motto of shoulda, coulda, woulda.  Well instead of that I am gonna do it and get on with it.  Not worry if I am doing something wrong.  This is where red hating comes in.

First off I craft in order to keep myself active.  If I am not active I will seize up and not be moving at all.  Now what to do with these crafts afterward.  Well that are not going to sit in my house anymore.  So I donate them out to red hat events to give away as gifties.  I ask first if someone is interested and if they are I make something that is appropriate for their event.  I have made knitted and crocheted shawls and afghan.  I have quilted items and I have done a few woodworking items as well.  Some of my items are very popular with the ladies.

Second of all I want to travel and see places.  Red hating is giving me a chance to see places I have never seen before.  Later in life I may not be able to do too much traveling so want to get in as much as I can.  So far I have been to New Orleans, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Edmonton, Oshawa and Reno.  When I get to these places I am not alone.  There are so many red hat ladies I can join up with and have a blast of a time.  I can behave my self or I can be a little silly.  No one seems to care which way I am.  The kid will come out and play once in while.  When she does watch out!!

The third is so many friendship I am making.  I have met some very beautiful ladies inside and out.  They take you under their wing and love you like you are a long lost friend.  That took a little time to get use to.  Being the quiet person I am that has built a shell around herself to protect herself from the negativity that has happened in the past. And a bit that is still happening.

So now I am doing this woulda, shoulda, coulda  theme in my life.  I want to do this and by Gaul I am gonna do this.  The first time I drove by myself to get to the airport in Bellingham to go to Reno.  I traveled there by myself, got on a plane and landed in Reno not knowing anyone.  I got to the hotel on my own did allot more at that convention then I thought I would ever do.  My first convention was in Sacramento, but I traveled with other ladies to that one.  They welcomed me into their group and showed me the ropes and pulled me out of my shell.  It mad been ages since I had felt that way and had so much fun.  So I signed up for another and that was Reno.  I talked to myself so many times about the fact I was crazy to go on my own.  What the heck am I thinking.  I talked myself out of it so many times,  then one days I said to myself.  Okay stop the idiotisy and just do it.  Well it was a big worry for me, but I did it and I loved every minute of it.  The next convention was Las Vegas.  I did not go alone on this one. I took my son with me.  You know what.  He just realized from that time on that there is a different side of me that he has never seen before.  We had a great time together and played the whole time.  

I have blossomed over the two and half years I have been red hatting.  I am also getting to be much more braver in what I want to do.  I have now been to an international convention and to top it all off I can dress silly or very regal the way I did when I was a child.

Oh now speaking of child in my latest travel I found something I have not had since I was a child.  I use to ride my bike into the nearest five and ten cent store to get this and you know what I found it in my travels this past weekend.  Okay gonna sound silly but I just loved eating this.  Green Shoestring licoric. okay don't laugh.  I lived out in the country on a dairy farm.  Never got out much and anytime I got to go to the store that is what I would buy.  And yes I bought some and yes I ate the whole bag in one sitting.  Okay laugh all you want.  I had a very quiet life here.

Now the biggest adventure I had went by this last weekend. I signed up for a convention in Edmonton. I asked carol if it was okay to make a giftie and she said yes.  Well I spend four months working on a quilt for her event.  I had the time of my life designing what I was going to make.  Gathering material together and then putting it all together.  Doing this between going to work and keeping a the rest of my life in order. I had so much fun making it. It was a labour of love.  Now I had a thought.  It was big and how was I going to get it there. Well I guess I could drive there.  WHAT!  By myself.  Oh here comes the doubts again.  I went back and forth on this for so long.  Then finally said. Drive.  It can't be that bad.  You drive across town everyday to go to work you can sure a heck drive to Edmonton.  You have done it before with your hubbie.  Only he was driving and usually kept driving.  If I did this alone or with someone I could stop when I wanted to.  See things I want to see. And do whatever I want.  Well I started planning. Got reservation to hotels along the way.  Planned on things I wanted to do and see. And started getting excited about this.  At one time I had two people going with me, then it went down to one and then it was just me again.  As they had other obligations to attend to.

Sunday rolled around.  Got myself out of bed and packed up the car, took car of my dogs for the last time, hoped in my car and started driving.  Once on the road all doubts disappeared and I was enjoying myself.  No one asking when the next town was, not one asking what road to take.  No one passing someplace you thought would be nice to get out and stretch,  and last but not least could pee when I wanted to instead of waiting till we got gas.  My tunes blaring away and not sitting in silence.  Sorry I and making a few dibs here I shouldn't be.  But I was not affraid and I was enjoying myself.  I looked for the first time at the scenery around me and said this is beautiful.  Never really noticed this before. Whenever we had traveled before.  I wonder why?  Well anyways I was doing this for me.  You know what I did it.  And I am so proud that I did.  I will do it again in a heartbeat.  It was so much fun and I could en joy my own company. I saw some pretty wonderful things we had just drove by before.  Such beauty out there.  Take the time and enjoy it.  It may not be here again.  I enjoyed a break in the hotsprings that made me sleepy on the drive to Edmonton and I also took the tram to the top of a mountain and saw a whole lot more of the world from the top.  The sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky.  You could see for miles

Now getting into Edmonton I started to worry a little.  What road do I take.  Is it up here close or do I have to drive allot in traffic.  I lost a couple of fingernails on that part of the trip.  The fingernails I didn't have to worry about.  I got there no problem at all.  And the nails they will grow back.  A day before everyone else was to arrive.  Well that day I scouted out around the area.  Walked my butt off.  Found were the pirate dinner was. Where to find food to eat.  What was in the area.  I picked up allot of Edmonton dirt on my saddled feet.  I even the next day walked to west Edmonton mall. Now that was a long!! Walk, but I did it. I met up with some ladies having dinner there and smart little me got a ride back to the hotel.  Worked out rather well on my part.  I would have walked back if had to but hey who can turn down such a generous offer.

That day my roomie came in.  I was sitting down in the lobby waiting for her and talking with Carli when she came in.  So we sat a little langer and talked then and hour later finally got her up to the room and settled.  As we came back down to the lobby we stopped and talked to a couple of ladies who she met on the plane.  We ended up going to the dinner theatre with them and having a great time.

From there Thursday night was the pirate meal. Easy to get there as I had scooped out the are the day before.  So I drove over there easy easy.   We got there a little late and ended up at a table by ourselves but was soon filled with other ladies to talk to.  No one walked the plank.

Then next day was regidpstration and a trip out on the paddle wheeler.  Very beautiful day and the sun was shining with out a could in the sky.  In fact the weather was great all weekend..  We traveled down the river and turned and came back up River.  The meal was great and we where back in time to get ready for the nights events.  The gala dinner.  Dress casual, fancy or in a costume.  

The next day we headed for the market.  Lots of food a few crafts and bling.  We headed over to the mall in downtown afterwards and started our shopping there.  I found some great tops .  My closet is gonna be fuller when I get home.  Hopped on the bus and got back to hotel with time to check out vendors and then head to room to change for dinner.  Costume night for the two of us.  I was octoberfest and Darlyne was in East Indian outfit.  She looked great.another night of great meal and lots of door prizes and just sitting around and talking.  The dance floor was opened and many shook a leg.  We sat at one of the tables and talked with anyone who happened to stop by for a chat.  Didn't get back to our room until late that night.  Straight to bed as pj breakfast next morning

A few ladies got a kick out of my pjs a few others may have thought otherwise. It don't bother me one way or the other.  I wear what I wear.  It wasn't provocative so like it or lump it.  We had out breakfast and then had our goodbyes.  So sad to say goodbye but all good things have to come to an end.

That afternoon we had a snack/lunch with a couple of ladies. We then went our separate ways and Darlyne was out with her son for the afternoon.  A little time to piddle around.  I went down to the mall for a bit and then it closed on me.  The door where I parked my car was closed and had to wonder a little to get to were my car was.  Did find it thank goodness.  I headed back towards hotel and stopped for a burger.  I could have met some ladies at red lobster but was just too pooped to pop.  So went back to room, might have nodded off for awhile and then started playing on my tablet.

Next morning Darlyne was out of there early.  Miss her already.  We where together most of the time in Edmonton.  Had a great time with her.  

I got up and packed down the rest of my stuff.  Gonna be on the road again. In a little while.  Had a bite to eat and then checked out headed back towards Jasper.  This time though I went down through the park.  Such a glorious place to drive.  The scenery is breathtaking.  My only thing is you are suppose to see wild life.  I did not see any.  I saw two squirrels and a bear on the way to Edmonton but on the way away from Edmonton did not see anything.  Do I scare animals that much.  Everyone else said they saw animals.  What is wrong with me.

I stopped at the ice fields.  But was getting a little late and I had to be at a hotel in Golden.  They said the tour was and hour and half.  Hopefully next time I am through.  Yeah that is the woulda, coulda, shoulda saying.  So I missed out on it.  I guess too many stops along to way just to look.  I did see allot though.  I stopped at saskachewan River and looked in the gift shop for something to snack on.. I found green shoestring licoric.  I just love that stuff.  You can never find it anymore.  I ate the whole bag in one sitting.

Got into golden later then thought. Into my room and sat watching tv for a little while.  Took a dip in the pool and off to bed.  I had an early morning the next day and started driving.  After a great breakfast included with the hotel.  Along highway 1 till I got to sicamus.  There I turned to highway 97 and down through the Okanagan.  I stopped to look at the house boats and a stop at a place called lag barn outside of Armstrong.  Interesting place with all sorts of statues around and delicious food.  I bought a strawberry pie to take home.  The rest of the Okanagan was just driving a looking.  Not too many places to stop and just relax for awhile.  Since I was asked when I was getting home I just headed straight through to home.  The twisty road of highway 3 through the manning park and then back to highway 1.

Got some gas when I was back in Mission and headed up the hill towards home

Thanks all for the great time.  This gusty gal is getting gutsier all the time.  Loved meeting some new friends and meeting up with old friends again.  Until next time.   Remember there is the I coulda done it and there are the I will do it.  Well I am trying hard to be in the I will do it.  But well you know this gutsy gal is trying real hard to do it.  Thanks for listening.  Catcha all when I write again


No comments:

Post a Comment