a sea of red hats

a sea of red hats

Sunday 10 August 2014

Yesterday's journey. Crab cruise in San Juan islands.


Such a beautiful day yesterday.  Sun shining and hot , hot, hot.

Today was a trip over to Washington state.  Taking a cruise with the red hat ladies and family.  Yes family was in rioted along to this event.  So I invited hubby to come along.  He thought it would be great fun to come along and see what I do with the other ladies.  Well I was quiet and was a good girl. No wild stuff.  

We left here around one o'clock and headed for the border.  The cruise was not till six but wanted to make sure we were in the right place.  Our first stop.  The border.  My gosh they were lined back almost to abbotsford.  Great this is going to be a bit of a wait.  The sign said twenty minutes but I think we were there in that line for at least an hour.  Long wait that was.

Finally through the border crossing.  On our way to Bellingham.  Road not too busy.  Beautiful sunny day clear view of mountains on our drive.  

We made our first stop at bellis fare.  Took a walk through as we had some time.  Not too busy in there either.  I looked a little but when you are walking with your hubby you can not look too closely.  I sen allot of things I would have lo picked to look at but we kept moving.  Well maybe another time when I am in a shopping mood on my own.  Ha ha now that I know it is such a big mall to look in.  Might be down there again sometime.

We sat down and enjoyed a shared Cinnabon Cinnabun.   Yummy, yummy!!!  Gobbled that down in no time.  Boy was it good.  Would love to find them in Canada.  Then it would not be such a treat then I guess..  Also probably would gain a few pounds too.  Don't need that.

As we were walking back to our car started looking at all the licence plates.  You know every car in the parking lot came from British Columbia or Alberta.  I don't think I saw more then a couple of cars with Washington state plates on them.  They must not shop on the weekend as us Canadians are in the mall hogging all the good stuff.  Well now I know were the lineup at the border went to.

So now back in the car and heading to fairhaven and the cruise ship dock.  Still a little early but wanted to make sure we had the right place.  Don't want to miss a boat by sitting I the wrong place.  I walked inside the building to make sure we had the right spot.  Well seems we were, so hopped back in the car and took a drive up the street to fairhaven.  The streets were full of little shops.  Galleries and such. I just loved walking around there.  Only thing was my legs did not like walking around there.  Up one road and down another.  Up one road and down another.  My legs started to tell me about the ups and downs.  Bummer I was enjoying myself.  I like going into these boutique stores and looking at all the different things that are for sale.

Well it is getting a little closer should go back to dock and see about a parking spot and pay for it.  There was a few spaces that are free parking but they were all full up so just broke down and paid for our parking.

We walked around there for a little while waiting for other ladies to show up.  Hubby started wondering whether he was going to be the only male there.  Then a few spouses showed up and he felt a little better.  He was not going to be a male in a sea of red and purple.

We stood in line for awhile until the gate opened to let us on the boat.
Waiting there was getting very warm.  Sun beating down on us.  It is a wonder there was not a bit of heat stroke out of that.    Well now I wonder how I will feel in #RHSSanFran2014 if the heat is going to be like this.  I do not take the heat that great, but then again I do not take the cold so well either.  I know I am never satisfied.

We finally boarded and settle in seats to take in the view of the San Juan islands.  They took us out to a couple of them.  One was a private island that was owned by someone all on his own.  When he passed the family turned it over to the conservation authority so it could be a park of some kind without any people living knit.  Just the animals.
Thereisaneagle I that tree.  Just barely you can see him.  I didnot have a very good camera for a close up picture.  He was in the tree on the back of this private island.  We toured around a few more islands. Enjoying our meal.  It was made up of crab on ice, broccoli salad, whole mini potatoes and roast chicken for those who had no interest in crab.  Then for desert a coffee flavoured cake.

As the sun went down we made our way back to the dock.  Other boaters were making there way to shore as well.  The bay was filling up with boats moored for the night.  Others still racing in to get a spot for the night.
The moon lulled us back to shore were we disembarked and headed for our cars.  

I knew two ladies whom I have spent time with before and a few faces I reconize from other adventures I have been on.   So I am getting to know the ladies.  But still not the talker I should be.  Well maybe on the next one.  Now as we drive ourselves for home the moon follows us home lighting our way.  The gps gives us a different route home from what we had taken there. Do you know were we are.  Not a clue but it will get us were we are going eventually.  Well we ended up on highway nine and knew were we were then.  As we pull into Sumas the line up is long.  Well waiting here we come again.  An hour and half later we are finally through the border crossing a and making our way for home.  Did not get ourselves home until close to midnight, but it was a fun trip and had some good food to go with it.

Next year they are talking about a bust trip someplace.  Wouldbe interesting for a day trip somewhere. Unless they are coming to Canada.  I am already there.

So now next time you see me on my blog will be for San Francisco.  That is only a week away.  Getting excited and scared at the same time.  That is my usual way.  So talk to you again next week when my new adventure starts.  Or maybe before as our small group is getting together for a back yard BBQ.






No comments:

Post a Comment